Pages

Thursday 28 November 2013

Masking Techniques


I promised pictures of my masking technique class and finally got some pictures taken.

The first card is using Early Espresso and Crisp Cantaloupe card stocks and inks. The background "stamp" is done with masking tape (painters tape).
 
On my card I used 2 strips. You can vary the width of the tapes and leave more of a gap in between the tapes or use different colours.
I wanted more subtle look, so I went with only one colour.

 
This is how you do it:
  • rip a strip apporx. 2 inches longer than what you wish to ink (just to leave you some space to handle the tape)
  • open your ink pad
  • Press the painters tape on the pad - STICKY SIDE DOWN (towards the pad) and "rub" the tape so that the ink sticks on the tape. NOTE! the more you rub, the more solid your tape gets covered - so if you are using darker ink or want lighter effect, don't rub too much
  • grab the tape and press it on the card stock
  • pull the tape off

This is one of my favourite cards - and it is SO simple - when you figure out how to do this correctly (admit - I had to try couple of times before I got the right kind of result).

I used the Beautiful Butterflies Bigz die to cut a shape from card stock - now this is where I went wrong. The card stock is too thick to then stamp the image through the cut out - I recommend using thin copy paper or even wax paper.

So my solution - I inked the En Francais background stamp (I laid it on the table, stamp side up) and then put the card stock stencil on the stamp - placed the Whisper White card stock carefully on top of the template and rubbed the card to transfer the ink (just make sure your cardstock does not move!)

Then I added some rhinestones and a Strawberry Slush heart (punched with Owl Builder Punch). So simple, so quick but SO BEAUTIFUL!

I have 2 more masking technique cards, but I'll post them later this weekend




 







No comments:

Post a Comment